Skip to main content
Energy Assistance Water Bill Assistance

Frequently Asked Questions: Energy Services

Find answers to many frequently asked questions about Community Action Partnership of Hennepin County's (CAP-HC's) Energy & Water Assistance Programs here. 

FAQ Table of Contents

Click any of the links in the table of contents below to go directly to the answer for that question. 

  1. How do I apply for Energy & Water Assistance Programs?

    An application must be completed to determine your eligibility for CAP-HC's Energy & Water Services. You can get an application in one of the following ways:

    Download an application from our Energy & Water Assistance page.
    Pick up an application in person at one of our office locations - please check our location information here.
    Request that an application be mailed to you by calling 952-930-3541.
    Request that an application be emailed to you by emailing

  2. Who can apply for energy assistance?

    Both homeowners and renters may be eligible for assistance. Renters that don't pay their heat may also be eligible for energy assistance.

  3. How do I submit my application materials?

    You can submit your completed application materials in one of the following ways.

    Mail: CAP-HC Energy Assistance Program
    8800 Highway 7, Ste. 403
    St. Louis Park, MN 55426


    Fax: 952-697-1313

    In person: place your documents in an envelope clearly labeled "Energy Assistance," then drop the envelope in the drop box at CAP-HC's office (8800 Hwy 7, St. Louis Park, 55426) on the 4th floor.

    We will review your application materials and follow up with you for next steps.

  4. Do I have to pay back the assistance money I receive?

    No. Energy Assistance is given as a grant, not a loan. You do not need to repay it.

  5. Where can I talk to someone in person?

    CAP-HC has several office locations throughout Hennepin County. Visit our Locations page for more information.

  6. Where can I learn more about Minnesota's Energy Assistance Program?

    More information about Minnesota's Energy Assistance Program is available on the Minnesota Department of Commerce's Energy Assistance web page.

  7. Where can I learn more about Minnesota Department of Commerce?

    Visit Minnesota Department of Commerce's website.
    More information about Minnesota Department of Commerce is available on Minnesota Department of Commerce's web page.

  8. What are the income eligibility guidelines?

    Eligibility for Energy Assistance is calculated based on your gross income (your income before taxes and other deductions) for a three-month period and the number of people in your household. Your income must be at or below the following guidelines - see chart below.

End of Income Eligibility Chart

For household with 10 or more people, call 952-930-3541.

If You Still Have Questions

If you still have questions regarding CAP-HC's Energy & Water Services, please email us at or call us at 952-930-3541.

Powered by Firespring