Skip to main content

Energy Services

Energy Services

Now Accepting Applications for the
2021-2022 Heating Season

The Energy Assistance Program (EAP) can help you pay energy costs, such as a heating bill, between October 1, 2021 and May 31, 2022. If you qualify, you could receive a grant to cover some of your energy expenses. This grant is paid directly to your energy provider, to reduce your energy bill.

PLEASE NOTE: Our office is closed until further notice.  Please call 952-930-3541 to request an energy assistance application via mail or a status update on your submitted application.

New Changes for the Energy Assistance Program:

  • The new 2021-2022 program year begins October 1, 2021.
  • The Cold-Weather Rule starts on October 1, 2021 and continues through April 30, 2022. Please contact your utility provider for more information.
  • Please note the new income limits (effective October 1, 2021) listed in the Frequently Asked Questions section below.
  • Water Assistance is now available through the Energy Assistance Program.

Click HERE for additional Energy Assistance Information. 

Minnesota Energy Assistance Program

The first step for applying for energy assistance is getting an application form. Applications can be downloaded using the buttons below, or picked up Monday through Friday, 8am-4:30pm, at our self-serve office in St. Louis Park (8800 Highway 7, #403 St. Louis Park, 55426).

Download 2021-2022 Energy Assistance Application

Crisis Funds for No-Income Households

If you have no income, or your income is lower than your monthly bills, please fill out the Verification of Income and Expenses Form and submit it with your application. Households with any unpaid past due balance (any previously unpaid balance beyond the current month's charges) are eligible to request Crisis Funds to pay their past due and current balance. This allows households to qualify for support without a disconnection notice or disconnection. 

Submit Your Completed Application

Mail your application to:
8800 Highway 7, Ste. 403
St. Louis Park, MN 55426

OR email your application to: 

OR fax your application to: 

If you have an issue or concern, please email us at

Energy Assistance Program Offices

Community Action Partnership of Hennepin County (OFFICE CURRENTLY CLOSED DUE TO COVID-19)
8800 Highway 7, #403
St. Louis Park, 55426  
Hours: Monday through Friday, 8:00 AM - 4:30 PM

2100 Plymouth Ave N. #104
Minneapolis, 55411
Hours: Monday through Thursday, 10:00 AM - 3:00 PM 

Please Note: New Applicants / Clients will need to access our office at the door located on the corner of Plymouth Ave N and Penn Ave N as the building is closed. Only required members of the household are allowed due to office capacity limits in accordance with COVID-19 guidelines.

Sabathani Community Center (OFFICE CURRENTLY CLOSED DUE TO COVID-19)
310 E 38th St, #211
Minneapolis, 55409
Hours: Monday through Friday, 8:00 AM - 4:30 PM

EAP Office at Lutheran Social Services (OFFICE CURRENTLY CLOSED DUE TO COVID-19)
2400 Park Avenue South, Second Floor
Minneapolis, MN 55404
Hours: Monday through Friday, 8:00 AM - 4:30 PM
Phone: 952-210-9327

Energy Related Repairs Program

The Energy Related Repairs (ERR) Program provides emergency repair or replacement of broken/non-functioning heating systems (ex. furnace) for Energy Assistance clients. 

To be eligible for assistance with your heating system you must submit an Energy Assistance Application and be approved. 

To contact CAP-HC about problems with your heating system, please contact 952-930-3541. If you have an after-hours emergency, please call 651-796-4412

Weatherization Program

Minneapolis residents who are interested in the Weatherization Program, should contact Sustainable Resource Center, Inc at 612-870-4255

Frequently Asked Questions

Who can apply for energy assistance?
Both homeowners and renters may be eligible for assistance. Renters that don't pay their heat may also be eligible for energy assistance.

Do you have to pay the money back?
No. Energy Assistance is given as a grant, not a loan. You do not need to repay it.

What are the income guidelines?
Eligibility for Energy Assistance is calculated by looking at gross income (your income before taxes and other deductions) for a three month period. Your income must be at or below the following guidelines.

2021-2022 EAP Income Guidelines
Family Size Maximum Three Month Income
1 $8,809
2 $11,520
3 $14,230
4 $16,941
5 $19,651
6 $22,362
7 $22,870
8 $23,378
9 $23,887

** For household sizes 10 and up, call 952-930-3541**

How can I apply?
An application must be completed in order to receive Energy Assistance. The application can be downloaded from the link above or by contacting CAP-HC between 8:00 am - 4:30 pm at 952-930-3541

More answers to frequently asked questions here

For more information, visit the Minnesota Department of Commerce website at

  • GiveMN
  • United Way
    United Way
  • capnational
  • MN Council Nonprofits
    MN Council Nonprofits
  • GuideStar

Powered by Firespring