Vehicle Repair Assistance
Community Action Partnership of Hennepin County's Vehicle Repair Assistance Program focuses on helping residents overcome transportation barriers. The program addresses the high cost of vehicle repairs by providing income-eligible clients with financial assistance toward auto repairs to ensure their vehicle is safe and reliable.
To request a Vehicle Repair Assistance application by mail or for questions about the program, submit a VRP Contact Form here.
To be eligible for the Vehicle Repair Assistance Program, applicants must:
- Live in Hennepin County.
- Have household income that is at or below 200% of the Federal Poverty Level Income Guidelines - see chart below.
- Complete 8 hours of Financial Wellness training and submit the completion certificate before vehicle repairs are started. Training hours can be completed via group virtual classes or self-led online training.
- Have a valid Minnesota driver’s license.
- Have current insurance.
- Have proof of ownership of the vehicle in need of repair.
Additionally, the vehicle in need of repair must be less than 20 years old.
For income eligibility information for households of 9 or more people, please call 952-933-9639.
- Applicants may only apply every 24 months for vehicle repair assistance.
- The Vehicle Repair Assistance Program will not cover costs to replace engines or transmissions.
- Applicants will be served in the order that completed applications and documentation are received.
To apply for the Vehicle Repair Assistance Program:
- Complete an application packet.
- Provide proof of the last 30 days of income for all adults in the household.
- This includes all sources of income, such as wages, public benefits, social security, child support, etc.
- If you have not received any income for the last 30 days, complete the Verification of Zero Income form on page 7 of the application packet.
- Provide proof of your household size. Examples include a lease listing all household members, a current tax return, or a benefits statement.
- Provide proof of your Hennepin County address. Examples include a utility bill, benefits statement, or current tax return.
- Provide a copy of
- A valid Minnesota driver's license. Driver's licenses from other states will not be accepted.
- Current auto insurance for the vehicle in need of repair.
- Car title, tab renewal receipt, or other proof of ownership of the vehicle in need of repair.
- Social security card, if you are employed or seeking employment.
- Financial Wellness training certificate(s) reflecting that 8 hours of training have been completed.
Submit your completed application and additional documentation by email or in person.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- In person: drop off your application and additional documentation at one of CAP-HC's offices. Visit our Locations page for addresses and hours.
We will review your application materials and follow up with you for next steps.
If you have questions relating to the application process or would like an application packet to be mailed to you, please email us at email@example.com.