Skip to main content
Energy Assistance Water Bill Assistance

Energy & Water Services

Many Minnesotans spend over 25% of their income on utility bills. Do you need help with your heating, electric, or water bills? Community Action Partnership of Hennepin County (CAP-HC) is here to help!

2022-2023 Energy Assistance & Water Assistance

The Energy Assistance Program (EAP) can help you pay your energy and water bills between October 1, 2022 and May 31, 2023. Qualified applicants may receive a grant paid directly to their utility provider to reduce utility expenses. 

  • The 2022-2023 program year began October 1, 2022.
  • The Cold-Weather Rule started on October 1, 2022 and continues through April 30, 2023. Please contact your utility provider for more information.

Click HERE for additional Energy Assistance information from Minnesota Department of Commerce. 


To Apply

The first step for applying for energy assistance is getting an application form. Applications can be downloaded using the button below, or picked up Monday-Friday, 8am-4pm, at our Self-Service Area in St. Louis Park (8800 Highway 7, St. Louis Park, 55426) on the 4th floor.

Additional documentation required to complete your application is outlined in the application form.

Click HERE for additional Energy Assistance information from Minnesota Department of Commerce.


Submit your completed application in one of the following ways.

  • Mail: CAP-HC Energy Assistance Program
             8800 Highway 7, Ste. 403
             St. Louis Park, MN 55426
  • Email:  
  • Fax: 952-697-1313
  • In person: place your documents in an envelope clearly labeled "Energy Assistance," then drop the envelope in the drop box at CAP-HC's office (8800 Hwy 7, St. Louis Park, 55426) on the 4th floor. 

We will review your application materials and follow up with you for next steps. 

If you have any questions about EAP, please email us at


Crisis Funds for Households

Crisis Water Funds are available for households with a past due balance, disconnection of service notice, or water shut off.

Crisis funds for natural gas, electric, and fuel vendors are not available at this time. 


Energy Assistance Program Offices

CAP-HC has several office locations throughout Hennepin County. Visit our Locations page for more information.

Energy-Related Repair Program

The Energy Related Repair (ERR) Program provides emergency repair or replacement of broken/non-functioning heating systems (ex. furnace) for Energy Assistance clients. 

To be eligible for assistance with your heating system you must submit an Energy Assistance Application and be approved. 

To contact CAP-HC about problems with your heating system, please contact 952-930-3541

Weatherization Program

Minneapolis residents who are interested in the Weatherization Program, should contact Sustainable Resource Center, Inc at 612-870-4255

Frequently Asked Questions

Who can apply for energy assistance?
Both homeowners and renters may be eligible for assistance. Renters that don't pay their heat may also be eligible for energy assistance.

Do you have to pay the money back?
No. Energy Assistance is given as a grant, not a loan. You do not need to repay it.

What are the income guidelines?
Eligibility for Energy Assistance is calculated by looking at gross income (your income before taxes and other deductions) for a three month period. Your income must be at or below the following guidelines.

2022-2023 EAP Income Guidelines
Family Size Maximum Three Month Income
1 $7,643
2 $9,994
3 $12,346
4 $14,698
5 $17,050
6 $19,401
7 $19,842
8 $20,283
9 $20,724

** For household sizes 10 and up, call 952-930-3541**

How can I apply?
An application must be completed in order to receive Energy Assistance. The application can be downloaded from the link above or by contacting CAP-HC between 8am-4:30pm, Mon.-Fri. at 952-930-3541

More answers to frequently asked questions here

For more information, visit the Minnesota Department of Commerce website at


  • GiveMN
  • United Way
    United Way
  • Community Action Partnership
    Community Action Partnership
  • MN Council Nonprofits
    MN Council Nonprofits
  • GuideStar

Powered by Firespring