Skip to main content

Water Assistance

Water Assistance

Please Note:

The wait list for Water Assistance is currently paused and not accepting applications at this time. 

If you have specific questions about the program, please reach out to

The Water Assistance Program allows payment to be made towards outstanding water bill for Hennepin County residents whose income does not exceed 200% of the Federal Poverty Level (see chart below). Water and sewer utility bills, which are not payable through the Energy Assistance Program - are paid when the amount owed threatens housing stability. Housing stability is deemed threatened either by the disconnection of those utilities, which could lead to eviction, or through the attachment of a lien on the homeowner's property, which could result in foreclosure.

Income Eligibility Guidelines

Eligibility: 200% of the Federal Poverty Income Guideline

Household Size Monthly Annual
1 $2,147 $25,760
2 $2,903 $34,840
3 $3,660 $43,920
4 $4,417 $53,000
5 $5,173 $62,080
6 $5,930 $71,160
7 $6,687 $80,240
8 $7,443 $89,320

Program Eligibility

To be eligible for services, clients must reside in Hennepin County and must have unpaid utility expenses.

Priority will be given to senior citizens, disabled, or families with children under the age of 5.

Households will be eligible for a one-time payment for unpaid water bills or sewer bills for the program duration.

CAP-HC will establish a Letter of Agreement with all utility vendors and will issue payment directly to Water Treatment and Distribution Services on behalf of the client within 30 days of completing an application.

Download the blank application form, complete it, and email your application to:

Or fax your application to: 952-697-1376

For Water Assistance questions, please call: 952-697-1393

  • GiveMN
  • United Way
    United Way
  • capnational
  • MN Council Nonprofits
    MN Council Nonprofits
  • Smartgivers
  • GuideStar

Powered by Firespring