Skip to main content
Rental Services Hennepin County
Hennepin County Rental Services

Rental Assistance Services

Renter Counseling

FREE | Community Action Partnership of Hennepin County's (CAP-HC's) Renter Counseling provides the knowledge and guidance you need to make the right renting decisions for you. HUD*-certified Housing Counselors help you navigate the rental process, inform you of your legal protections, and advocate for you. Counselors also help renters develop household budgets, determine financial assistance eligibility, apply for rental assistance, and identify an affordable place to rent.

*U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development. Learn more about HUD's housing counseling.

Emergency Rental Assistance

CAP-HC has limited funding to provide a one-time payment for eligible households for either

  • Emergency rental assistance to help households get caught up on late rent by paying up to two (2) months of past-due rent,
  • Or by paying the security deposit and first month of rent up to (2) months of the rent total after they are approved to move into a new home.

Please note: emergency rental assistance may only be utilized once in a 24-month period.


Renter's Rights Workshops

These FREE workshops will answer your questions regarding your rights and responsibilities as a renter, how fair housing laws protect you, how affordable housing is calculated, the importance of insurance, and more.

Workshops are hosted by HUD*-Certified Housing Counselors and are offered either virtually via Teams or in-person at CAP-HC's Main Office. 


  • CAP-HC's Renter's Rights Workshops are open to the public.
  • Advanced registration is required.

Upcoming Workshops


Saturday, October 22 | 9-11am


Wednesday, October 26 | 4-6pm

If you have questions about CAP-HC's Renter's Rights Workshops or registration, please contact

*U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development. For more information about HUD's housing counseling, click here.

Powered by Firespring