Emergency Rental Assistance Grants
When households with lower income experience a financial crisis, Emergency Rental Assistance from Community Action Partnership of Hennepin County (CAP-HC) helps households maintain safe, stable housing.
CAP-HC has limited funding to provide a one-time payment for eligible households for either:
- Emergency rental assistance up to $1,000 per household,
- Or by paying up to $1,000 for the security deposit and/or first month of rent per household.
Please note: emergency rental assistance may only be utilized once in a 24-month period.
To request an Emergency Renter Assistance grant application by mail, or for other questions about the program, contact the Emergency Renter Assistance Program here.
Please note: Due to the high volume of emergency rental assistance applications received, application processing may take 8 weeks or more. Below are additional resources for your reference:
- Hennepin County Human Services
- Tenant Resource Center
- United Way Renter's Help Website
- United Way Eviction Prevention Resources
To be eligible for Emergency Rental Assistance, applicants must:
- Live in Hennepin County.
- Not receive a rental subsidy, such as an MPHA or Section 8 subsidy.
- Have household income at or below Federal Poverty Income Guidelines – see chart below.
- Have a denial letter from Hennepin County Emergency Assistance or other rental assistance provider – only if seeking security deposit assistance.
Additionally, clients may only apply for rental assistance once every 24 months.
End of Income Eligibility Chart
To apply for CAP-HC's Emergency Rental Assistance Program:
- Complete an application packet.
- Provide proof of the last 30 days of income for all adult household members.
- Provide proof of your household size (examples: lease, tax return, benefits statement, etc.).
- Provide proof of your Hennepin County address.
- Provide a copy of your lease or rental agreement.
- Provide a copy of a denial letter from Hennepin County Emergency Assistance or other rental assistance provider – only if seeking security deposit assistance.
You may submit your application materials in one of the following ways:
- Email your materials to email@example.com
- Mail your materials to: Community Action Partnership of Hennepin County
ATTN: Rental Assistance
8800 Hwy 7, #401
St. Louis Park, MN 55426
- Drop off your materials in person: place your documents in an envelope clearly labeled "Rental Assistance," then drop the envelope in the drop box at CAP-HC's office (8800 Hwy 7, St. Louis Park, 55426) on the 4th floor
We will review your application materials and follow up with you for next steps.
If you have questions relating to the application process or would like an application packet to be mailed to you, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.