Emergency Rental Assistance Grants
When households with lower income experience a financial crisis, Emergency Rental Assistance from Community Action Partnership of Hennepin County (CAP-HC) helps households maintain housing stability. Households with past due rent or in need of deposit assistance may apply. Due to limited funding, households are limited to one emergency rental assistance grant, not to exceed three (3) times the monthly rent amount, every calendar year.
To request an Emergency Renter Assistance grant application by mail, or for other questions about the program, contact the Emergency Renter Assistance Program here.
To be eligible for Emergency Rental Assistance, applicants must:
- Live in Hennepin County.
- Not receive a rental subsidy, such as an MPHA or Section 8 subsidy.
- Have household income at or below Federal Poverty Income Guidelines – see chart below.
- Have a denial letter from Hennepin County Emergency Assistance or other rental assistance provider – only if seeking security deposit assistance.
Additionally, clients may only apply for rental assistance once every calendar year.
End of Income Eligibility Chart
To apply for CAP-HC's Emergency Rental Assistance Program:
- Complete an application packet.
- Provide proof of the last 30 days of income for all adult household members.
- Provide proof of your household size (examples: lease, tax return, benefits statement, etc.).
- Provide proof of your Hennepin County address.
- Provide a copy of your lease or rental agreement.
- Provide a copy of a denial letter from Hennepin County Emergency Assistance or other rental assistance provider – only if seeking security deposit assistance.
You may submit your application materials in one of the following ways:
- Email your materials to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mail your materials to: Community Action Partnership of Hennepin County
ATTN: Rental Assistance
8800 Hwy 7, #401
St. Louis Park, MN 55426
- Drop off your materials in person: place your documents in an envelope clearly labeled "Rental Assistance," then drop the envelope in the drop box at CAP-HC's office (8800 Hwy 7, St. Louis Park, 55426) on the 4th floor
We will review your application materials and follow up with you for next steps.