Emergency Rental Assistance Grants
Emergency Rental Assistance helps Hennepin County households maintain housing stability in a time of financial crisis. When households with lower income experience a financial crisis, Emergency Rental Assistance from Community Action Partnership of Hennepin County (CAP-HC) can help alleviate the stress of maintaining or securing stable housing. Households with past due rent or in need of deposit assistance may apply. Due to limited funding, households are limited to one emergency rental assistance grant, not to exceed three (3) times the monthly rent amount, every twenty-four (24) months.
To request an Emergency Renter Assistance grant application by mail, or for other questions about the program, contact the Emergency Renter Assistance Program here.
To be eligible for Emergency Rental Assistance, applicants must:
- Live in Hennepin County.
- Be 18 years of age or older.
- Not have sufficient funds to cover housing costs, including earned income, Minnesota Family Investment Program (MFIP), disability benefits, Unemployment Insurance, stimulus payments, etc.
- Not exceed the assistance limit (three (3) times the monthly rent amount) within twenty-four (24) months.
- Have household income that is at or below 200% of the Federal Poverty Level Income Guidelines - see chart below.
End of Income Eligibility Chart
To apply for CAP-HC's Emergency Rental Assistance Program:
- Complete an application packet.
- Provide proof of the last 30 days of income for all adult household members.
- Provide proof of your household size (examples: lease, tax return, benefits statement, etc.).
- Provide proof of your Hennepin County address.
- Provide a copy of your lease or rental agreement.
Submit your application and additional documentation by email or in person.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- In person: place your documents in an envelope clearly labeled "Rental Assistance," then drop the envelope in the drop box at CAP-HC's office (8800 Hwy 7, St. Louis Park, 55426) on the 4th floor
We will review your application materials and follow up with you for next steps.